The 4th Industrial Revolution has not only transformed factory production methods but has also changed processes in agriculture, paving the way for Agriculture 4.0 and innovating towards a sustainable future.
What is Agriculture 4.0? Innovating for a Sustainable Future
Agriculture 4.0 geared towards a sustainable future, revolves around collecting and analyzing field data to enhance crop quality and minimize environmental impact. In simpler terms, it encapsulates technologies dedicated to digitizing agricultural processes. This involves a combination of hardware, software, and systems working together to actively optimize the production process for enhanced efficiency, cost-effectiveness, and sustainability.
Day-to-day operations involve a fusion of trends and real-time data, empowering growers to make confident decisions through accessible reports and graphs. The digitization, implementable in both small and large farms via IoT and Artificial Intelligence, actively transforms agricultural processes into productive, autonomous, and efficient ones, from soil treatment to harvesting and packaging.
Where does the term “Agriculture 4.0” come from?
The term Agriculture 4.0 originates from Industry 4.0, synonymous with the 4th industrial revolution actively. It is the era we live in today, where technology allows us to automate production processes as autonomously as possible. Like factories, the sector has gone through other stages of evolution before reaching Agriculture 4.0.
- Agriculture 1.0: The first stage is characterized by subsistence farming, where the farmer grows crops to survive. It has low productivity and energy use due to difficult access to technology.
- Agriculture 2.0: Agriculture 2.0 develops from 1950. This phase represents the advancement of science in the field and the arrival of machinery to increase production. The Green Revolution, named for the widespread dissemination of new farming methods, revolutionized agricultural practices worldwide.
- Agriculture 3.0: Between 1990 and 2010, we have the emergence of Agriculture 3.0 in the industry. This stage marks the inception of automation and data collection to boost the efficiency of agricultural processes. There is also concern for the environment due to the damage caused by the expansion of agribusiness in previous years.
- Agriculture 4.0: In Agriculture 4.0, nature is not merely a concern but also a prerequisite integrated into agricultural methods. This phase will take place after 2010 and will also involve the creation of new digital tools to improve the results of agriculture, combined with sustainability.
What are the technologies involved in Agriculture 4.0?
Knowing what Agriculture 4.0 is also means knowing its most outstanding tools. The agricultural sector has evolved so much technologically that it is practically impossible to mention all the innovations involved in the production chain. However, there are a few technologies that stand out for their significant contribution to the growing process. Check out the top 4:
- Drones: Drones are one of the most popular technological innovations of recent years. These small flying robots are used to provide a panoramic view of the crop. Some models already operate autonomously with a pre-defined configuration. In addition, agricultural drones are already able to detect pest infestations, lack of irrigation, planting failures, and even animal tracking.
- Autonomous tractors: With the help of technological sensors and artificial intelligence, tractors can now perform their functions autonomously in the field. This technological advancement is reflected in the harvest results and in the reduction of losses during the process.
- Decision software: Decision software, developed by Agtechs, actively focuses on enhancing assertiveness in production. These tools analyze various factors to help the farmer, such as finances, weather, fertilizers and pests.
- Electronic sales: There are specific platforms on the market for the agribusiness sector.
How is the 4i platform driving Agriculture 4.0?
In the context of Agriculture 4.0, 4i Platform is emerging as an end-to-end solution that drives digital transformation in the agriculture sector. Aligned with the trends of digitalization and automation, 4i Platform provides advanced tools to optimize each phase of the agricultural process.
Efficient data management:
- Full Integration: The 4i platform seamlessly integrates with agricultural equipment and systems, ensuring efficient data collection from the field.
- Detailed analysis: Using advanced algorithms, 4i Platform analyzes data in real time, providing farmers with valuable information for decision making.
- Agricultural automation: 4i Platform implements automation through the Internet of Things (IoT), enabling autonomous functions.
Why is Agriculture 4.0 important?
Agriculture 4.0 is crucial for all rural producers striving to meet the challenges of a sustainable future. As the agricultural industry reinvents itself to sustainably address growing demand, a World Resources Institute (WRI) study indicates that the planet must enhance food production by nearly 60% by 2050 to feed 10 billion people.
Putting the concept into practice will not only optimize agriculture today, but also prepare producers for a trend that is here to stay. Understanding Agriculture 4.0, comprehending its implications, and acknowledging its long-term imperative actively prepares us for tomorrow.